Friday, September 24, 2010

Efficient

I've been interested to find out what sort of fuel economy the new scooter is achieving. Four stroke motors are supposed to be slightly more efficient than two strokes, and they don't burn oil with every stroke of the piston. I imagined that the savings would just about pay for the premium fuel the new scooter needs.


It turns out that “slightly more efficient” is grossly misleading. My old scooter used about 4 litres per hundred kilometres. According to the figures I've gleaned from filling up the tank this evening, the new scooter uses less than 2.4 litres per hundred kilometres!


At current petrol prices that's just over $1 to ride to work and back. By contrast the old scooter would have been $1.80. The car would be about $3.60. And The Flatmate's new Landrover Discovery 3 would be around $7. Sucker.


Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with the extra $200 or so a year that the new scooter will save me.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just saw your comment on my flat on apartment therapy. You must have good eye sight or perhaps a very large screen...how in the world did you know that I have a Picasso drawing in the hall? Very perceptive. Most of the art is pretty pedigreed and fun...I like to pop out of the shower and admire the art in the buff. Try that in a museum! The player piano rolls are basically junk...they are so old and brittle that they crumble if you look at them crosseyed. I dug them out of the trash to begin with...so I feel no guilt for sticking them up on the wall. And my kitchen sees no grease or activity the majority of the time. It is all for show...I have more burners than pots.
haring222@aol.com

12:33 PM  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

How to spend the extra money? Use it to purchase oodles awful movies to review.

We of the internets enjoy your reviews very much, even though we usually can't summon the energy to comment.

Keep up the good work!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

I like to pop out of the shower and admire the art in the buff. Try that in a museum!

Okay, you're on!

Anyone who's wondering about Anonymous' comment, check out his amazing pad here:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/house-tours/daves-lakeview-redux-house-tour-127834

4:21 PM  
Blogger FletcherDodge said...

The Scotch, of course. Single malt. None of that blended crap.

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home