Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Civil

The Intercollegiate Studies Institute is a body made up of representatives from over 900 tertiary institutions in the United States. Concerned that the standard of civic literacy in the US population was falling, they created a quiz and took it to two and a half thousand randomly selected people.


The average score for members of the general public was 49%.


The average score for people who self-identified as "elected officials" was 44%.


My score, as a life-long Australian who has never had a Civics class in his life, was 82%.


Hang your hollow, fluffernutter-filled heads in shame, America!


If you'd like to add insult to American injury, you can do the quiz here.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only scored 72.73%, or 24 out of 33. Apparently the Novemeber average was 78%: I guess you were responsible for lifting it.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

75.76%

Ironically, I suspect I'd get a much worse mark in an equivalent survey about Australia civics.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

Ha, greetings from Belgium!

Lick my boots, you inflated bunch of barbecue sauce addicts!

PS: my word verification for the day is 'cache'

How drôle

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I only got 23 correct (but it is 2am) or just over 69% - auspicious me thinks. Seriously, some of the answers beggar belief. Question 1 and my answer: 1) Which of the following are the inalienable rights referred to in the Declaration of Independence?
A. life, liberty, and property. The correct answer was: Question #1 - E. life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. How the hell can you confer happiness as an inalienable right? Property was a more logical choice - that is enforceable, hapiness is not! Question 6 and my chosen answer: 6) The Bill of Rights explicitly prohibits:
B. discrimination based on race, sex, or religion. It seemed logical to me but no, the correct answer was: Question #6 - D. establishing an official religion for the United States. Who would have guessed that? I could go on, but it's late. I wonder if people who have done the test go back and do it again knowing the correct answers just so they can cheat and get an electronic response saying you got 100% which they then email to others? Or do people lie about what they got just so they can say they beat Blandwagon? Jaymez

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon > you're a bad loser, aren't you :-)

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home