Thursday, August 16, 2007

Blogloom

I'm a little teapot concerned that so many of the blogs I read have gone south lately. Or down. Or off. Or off down south.


There are three general varieties:


1. The suicide. Some suicides just stop abruptly following an ordinary post, never to be seen again. Some wind down gradually, posting less and less, and eventually petering out with a post about an indefinite hiatus. Still others officially declare that they are over blogging and wish everyone well in their future reading, wherever that may be. The effect is the same in each case - no more reading for me, and a vague sense of being snubbed.


2. The protectionist. For whatever reason, the protectionists have decided that having their blog up on the general Web for everyone to see is too risky. They fear that a slip of "my boss is such a dickhead" or "those illegal drugs sure made sex with that underage hooker last night more memorable" might land them in hot water, once the googlebots find it and index it for acrimonious authority types to find. So they decide to restrict their readership. Often they give you the opportunity to follow them to their new gated blog, but it's rarely worth the effort of delurking to do so, and frankly, I don't like having to jump through hoops just to find out what someone thinks of the new season of 'My Name Is Earl'.


3. The professional. I read a few big professional blogs (Tim Blair, James Lileks and some others), and while they're reliable, they're also impersonal. Assuming you're even allowed to submit a comment, it'll just get lost in the hundred or so others, probably without the blogger realising that it was there. I like the fact that in my blog each of the comments feels as if it is directed at me, not just pasted onto some vast, crowded messageboard.


My old blog supply is drying up, and I need a fresh deluge.

7 Comments:

Blogger Blandwagon said...

Please note: if you're reading this and you think I'm talking about you, I'm probably not. Most of the offenders I've listed are not followers of my blog.

1:37 PM  
Blogger David Cohen said...

Rotto Bloggo is still going strong! Is it worthy for your People Who Don't Link To You?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Rotto Bloggo is all very nice, and an invaluable reference for all Rottnest Island-related enquiries, but it's not exactly the kind of 'daily read' blog that I need.

11:42 AM  
Blogger 2BarRiff said...

No chance of CutenotSmart going downhill - it's already at the bottom!

Anyhoo, I've been meaning to link to you for a while so there ya go.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Thank you for the link, Mr Riff, and I will return in kind :)

2:46 PM  
Blogger 2BarRiff said...

Well, I will link once I work out this impossibly hard blogspot interface :)

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[a bit late]

An interesting read on the rise and plateau? of blogdom:

"We should however be realistic: the 'blogging revolution' collided with human nature and human nature won."
(http://www.caslon.com.au/weblogprofile1.htm)

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home