Monday, August 27, 2007

Afterthought

If anyone's interested (and I freely admit that this is a slim possibility) here are some before and after pictures of my new ikeahacked bedside tables, laboriously stained and varnished to match the rest of my bedroom's woodwork.


bedroom
room of doom

I think it looks much better. Of course, that may have something to do with the fact that I vacuumed before taking the photo this time.


bedside table left
left bedside table

Besides the stain and the varnish, I've also added a plant and my antiquated iPod. Hopefully neither of them will die in the near future.


bedside table right
right bedside table

Nothing much changed here. Move along.


plate o' crap

A couple of commenters asked how I would stop little bits and pieces falling between the slats. As you can see, I have a glass plate to hold all of my important odds and ends, like my iPod Shuffle, phone, cuff links, bookmarks, interesting pebbles and the absolutely vital red plastic horsie I found on the road.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks really nice -- I was wondering about the slats, but your plate looks like a good solution to that. I like the bug art, too.

I am going to my local Ikea next week sometime -- my bedroom has been empty (but for suitcases) since I moved into my new place. Time to get some furniture happening, I think.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

RED PLASTIC HORSIE!!!!

I love it.

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father [on that red plastic horsie]. Prepare to die.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Wait... did I kill him while I was on the red plastic horsie, or while he was on the red plastic horsie?

I kill so many people, it's difficult to keep track.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know very well his was a turquoise mount, thou dissimulator.

2:56 PM  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

Very nice staining job!

Wow, cuff links. I didn't know folks still wore them. How ignorant I am! Do you also own spats?

10:41 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

MC, my favourite shirts are only available with French cuffs, so cufflinks are something of a necessity.

It sounds even more impressive when I say that I have two pairs; one gold monogrammed pair inherited from my maternal grandfather, and one jade and gold pair inherited from my paternal grandfather.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Cufflinks are usually good but sometimes tragically bad. I once went out with a guy who wore little aeroplane cufflinks. The cufflinks effectively killed any idea in my mine of ever seeing him again.

And the bedside tables are lovely - far superior to our cardboard box bedside tables.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home