Thursday, November 16, 2006

Trying

It's 3.44am. I'm awake and I'm not happy.


I blame my diet. I've been on a diet since Saturday, when I put on my favourite Miracle Shirt, one which through the genius of good tailoring makes me look relatively slim, and discovered that it had stopped working. My flab had overwhelmed it, beating its clever design with simple, crude enormity.


So I launched myself into a strict diet, deleting sugar, white flour, rice, potato, pasta and booze. Unfortunately two side effects of dieting are that I drink more coffee at work and I drink more Diet Coke/Pepsi Light/Coke Zero/Pepsi Max/MaxiCola* at home and at parties.


Usually I can keep it under control, but last night I had to work late (coffee) then go to a barbecue (diet cola), and I just lost track of my consumption. Of course I didn't realise this until a couple of hours ago, when I'd been in bed for an hour, and felt very tired, but remained conspicuously awake. No amount of tossing, turning or shouting obscenities into my pillow seems to make any difference.


To cap it all off, I've had blurry fever dreams as I hover on the brink of sleep. For a while there, I was strangely convinced that Microsoft's new Zune music player was out to get me.


That's not say that it isn't, but I'm just not usually that perceptive.


4.10am. Dammit.


*RC cola's contribution to low-calorie liquid evil

3 Comments:

Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

You'll do it though. Fight through that pain barrier. Smoothies are quite useful.

I'm supporting you by singing We Shall Overcome in the style of Joan Baez.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Eric B. said...

Wow, the Zune? You must be in rough shape. Is it possible to cut down on the caffeine intake? I find that, along with food too late at night, to be the biggest insomnia-inducing culprit. (That and programming just before bed.)

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bwahahahahahahahaha

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home