Friday, August 18, 2006

Confused

It could happen to anyone... well, anyone from that bastion of stout moral fibre known as the British aristocracy:


An heir to one of the country's most famous aristocratic titles faces jail after he stole a cheque for more than £100,000.

Andrew Curzon, 19, opened a neighbour's letter that had been delivered to his home by mistake. But instead of handing it back, the Old Etonian attempted to deposit £117,533 into his own account.

In a crude forgery attempt, he wrote his name on top of the genuine recipient's and tried to pass it off as his own.

But Natwest staff alerted police and Curzon, whose ambition is to be a barrister, was arrested when he returned to the branch to see if the funds had cleared.

He has pleaded guilty to forgery and using a false instrument at Wimbledon magistrates court in South West London.



But undoubtedly, the best line of the article was this:


In his defence, he argued that he suffered from the medical condition dysphraxia - which made him unable "to engage in logical thinking, particularly when under stress".


Just the attribute I look for in a lawyer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Blandwagon said...

Judge: So in closing, Mr Curzon, is there anything you can add that will firmly establish your client's innocence?

Curzon: Halibut!

Judge: What?

Curzon: Halibut! The purple is everywhere and my nose hurts! Zing!

Judge: I have no idea what you're saying. Since you cannot provide any meaningful argument, I must regretfully find your client guilty as charged.

Curzon: No! Waffles are badgers!

Client: I knew I should have hired Lionel Hutz.

1:44 PM  
Blogger MommyHeadache said...

I agree, I think he's make a brilliant lawyer, and I saw that without irony.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need logical thinking as a lawyer, or is Australian law in general more logical than the Belgian ones?

I would be more worried about the fees this guy will charge you.

And don't give him any money to pay your bail!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Sauntering Walker said...

Bland
Given your sample of Kurzon's exchange with his client, I'd love to meet him: he talks my kind of language, and I think we'd get on famously!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home