Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Tags

Besides the Cupboard of Regret, I got a couple of other things at the auction on Saturday. McLernon's has a large yard in which they keep their scrap - mostly broken office furniture and worthless shop fittings destined for the tip - and it's littered with broken glass, fragments of perspex, lost bolts and other industrial litter. While I was walking across it on Saturday afternoon, getting some fresh air and stretching my legs, I kicked a little tablet of wood. It broke in half as it skittered across the bitumen, and that caused me to take a second look at it.


It had the number 15 carved into it. The numerals were old-fashioned, complete with serifs, and had been inked. When I turned it over I found a carved picture of what might have been a cactus.


It was sort of interesting, and apparently worthless, so I put it in my pocket. Later that afternoon, as I was traversing the same yard, I found another one. This had the number 46 carved into it, and on the back was a picture of a shell and a spiral.


Each tablet is rectangular, about a centimeter thick, and as long as my thumb. Each one has a little rectangular hole at one end, suggesting that they're tags for something. But for what? Unfortunately I didn't really have a close look at them until Sunday, so it wasn't until then that my curiosity was piqued.


IMG_0116

IMG_0117

Anyone have any ideas on what they might be?

3 Comments:

Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Table numbers for a now defunct Mexicano-Seafood restaurant?

2:39 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Makes sense. The spiral obviously represents vomiting after you eat their dodgy shellfish.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Key tags with room numbers for a dodgy highway motel (I'm thinking along the lines of that scary motel in that John Cusack film)?

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home