Sunday, January 09, 2005

Tasks

Over the holidays I had a list of things I wanted to get done around the house. Until two days ago, I had done precisely none of them. But that doesn't mean that my holidays were wasted, unless by 'wasted' you mean 'frittered away in profitless pfaffing'. In that case then yes, they were wasted. But here's a list of the things I did anyway.
  • I painted the hall, which made it match the rest of the house and reminded me how quickly I lose interest in these things.
  • I built a console table for the dining room out of some old bits and pieces I had in the shed. It's supposed to be shabby chic, which is handy because 'shabby' is an admirable description of my carpentry skills. It actually doesn't look too bad, and it's just what that room needed.
  • I bought a goldfish and a waterlily for my pond. The fish seems to suffer from agoraphobia and only makes an appearance when I turn the fountain pump on and startle him into movement. The plant doesn't have the option of hiding, but since it cost six times more than the fish I expect it to be at least six times more visible.
  • I cleaned out the pantry, which was a little bit like spring cleaning King Tutenkamen's tomb. The Riddle of the Sphinx is as nothing compared to "Why do I still have half a packet of ancient barley sugars?", "When exactly did I buy almond essence?" and "Is campari supposed to go that colour?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home